79. 82 Kennedy DM, Konlechner T, Zavadil E, Mariani M, Wong V, Ierodiaconou D, Macreadie PI (2017) Invasive cordgrass (Spartina spp.) in south-eastern Australia induces island formation, salt marsh development, and carbon storage Geographical Research doi:10.1111/1745-5871.12265
78. Smith TM, York PH, Broitman BR, Theil M, Hays GC, van Sebille E, Putman NF, Macreadie PI, Sherman DH (2017) Rare long distance dispersal of a marine angiosperm across the Pacific Ocean Global Ecology and Biogeography in press
77. Trevathan-Tackett SM, Thomson ACG, Ralph P, Macreadie PI (2017) Fresh carbon inputs to seagrass sediments induce variable microbial priming responses. Science of the Total Environment in press
76. Trevathan-Tackett SM, Wessel C, Cebrian J, Ralph P, Masque P, Macreadie PI (2017) Effects of small-scale, shading-induced seagrass loss on blue carbon storage: Implications for management of degraded seagrass ecosystems Journal of Applied Ecology in press
75. Kelleway J, Serrano O, Baldock J, Cannard T, Lavery P, Lovelock CE, Macreadie P, Masque P, Saintilan N, Steven ADL (2017) Technical review of opportunities for including blue carbon in the Australian Government’s Emission Reduction Fund. CSIRO, Australia.
74. Trevathan-Tackett SM, Sullivan BK, Robinson K, Lilje O, Macreadie PI, Gleason FH (2017) Pathogenic Labyrinthula associated with Australian seagrasses: Considerations for seagrass wasting disease in the southern hemisphere Microbiological Research in press
73. Macreadie PI, Serrano O, Maher D, Duarte C, Beardall J (2017) Addressing calcium carbonate cycling in blue carbon accounting. Limnology and Oceanography Letters in press
72. Kennedy D, Konlechner T, Zavadil E, Michela M, Wong V, Ierodiaconou D, Macreadie PI (2017) Invasive cordgrass (Spartina spp.) in south-eastern Australia induces island formation, salt marsh development, and carbon storage. Geographical Research in press
71. Pearse AL, Barton JL, Lester RE, Zawadski A, Macreadie PI (2017) Soil organic carbon variability in Australian temperate freshwater wetlands. Limnology and Oceanography in press
70. Macreadie PI, Serrano O, Duarte CM, Beardall J, Maher D (2017). Commentary: Evaluating the role of seagrass in Cenozoic CO2 variation. Frontiers in Environmental Science. doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2017.00055
69. Liu S, Jiang Z, Zhang, J, Wu Y, Huang X, Macreadie PI (2017) Sediment microbes mediate the impact of nutrient loading on blue carbon sequestration by mixed seagrass meadows. Science of The Total Environment. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.05.129
68. Atwood TB, Connolly RM, Almahasheer H, Carnell P, Duarte CM, Ewers C, Irigoien X, Kelleway J, Lavery PS, Macreadie PI, Serrano O, Sanders C, Santos I, Steven A, Lovelock CE (2017). Global patterns in mangrove soil carbon stocks and losses. Nature Climate Change in press
67. Kelleway JJ, Saintilan N, Macreadie PI, Baldock JA, Heijnis H, Zawadzki A, Gadd P, Jacobsen G, Ralph PJ (2017) Geochemical analyses reveal the importance of environmental history for blue carbon sequestration. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences DOI: 10.1002/2017JG003775
66. Trevathan-Tackett CM, Macreadie PI, Sanderman J, Baldock J, Howes J, Ralph P (2017). A global assessment of the potential for seagrasses to contribute to long-term carbon sequestration. Frontiers in Plant Science DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2017.00925
65. Ewers CJ, Carnell PE, Sanderman J, Baldock JA, Macreadie PI (2017). Variability and vulnerability of coastal ‘blue carbon’ stocks: A case study from southeast Australia. Ecosystems DOI: doi:10.1007/s10021-017-0150-z
64. Sanderman J, Farrell M, Macreadie PI, Hayes M, McGowan J, Baldock J (2017). Is demineralization with dilute hydrofluoric acid a viable method for isolating mineral stabilized soil organic matter. Geodermahttp://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2017.03.002
63. Trevathan-Tackett S, Seymour J, Nielsen D, Macreadie PI, Thomas J, Sanderman J, Baldock J, Howes J, Steven A, Ralph P (2017). Sediment anoxia limits microbial-driven seagrass reminersalization under warming conditions. FEMS Microbiology Ecology doi: 10.1093/femsec/fix033
62. Kelleway JJ, Saintilan N, Macreadie PI, Baldock JA, Ralph PJ (2017) Sediment and carbon accumulation vary among vegetation assemblages in a coastal saltmarsh. Biogeosciences https://www.biogeosciences.net/14/3763/2017/bg-14-3763-2017.html 61. Lovelock CE, Atwood T, Baldock J, Duarte CM, Hickey S, Lavery PS, Masque P, Macreadie PI, Ricart AM, Serrano O, Steven A (2017). Assessing the risk of CO2 emissions from blue carbon ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10.1002/fee.1491
59. Macreadie PI, Ollivier Q, Kelleway JJ, Serrano O, Carnell P, Ewers C, Atwood T, Sanderman J, Baldock J, Connolly RM, Duarte CM, Lavery P, Steven A, Lovelock CE (2017) Carbon sequestration by Australian tidal marshes. Scientific Reports www.nature.com/articles/srep44071
58. Macreadie PI, Nielsen DA, Kelleway JJ, Atwood T, Seymour J, Petrou K, Connolly RM, Thomson ACG, Trevathan-Tackett S, Ralph P (2017). Can we manage coastal ecosystems to sequester more blue carbon? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 15: 206-213.
55. Macreadie PI, Jarvis J, Trevathan-Tackett SM, Bellgrove A (2017) Seagrasses and macroalgae: Importance, vulnerability and impacts. In: Climate Change Impacts on Fisheries and Aquaculture: A Global Analysis. Eds. Phillips BF, Pérez-Ramírez, M. Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN: 978-1-119-15404-
49. Thomson ACG, York PH, Smith TM, Sherman CDH, Booth DJ, Keough MJ, Ross DJ, Macreadie PI. (2016) Response to “Comment on Seagrass Viviparous Propagules as a Potential Long-Distance Dispersal Mechanism. Estuaries and Coasts 38: 927-940
I have been researching in the field of marine ecology since the start of my PhD (2006). Prior to 2006 (i.e. during my undergraduate training, and as a research assistant at CSIRO) I worked in medical research as a biochemist/microbiologist.